Acabo de chegar em casa. Trago comigo a sensação de um
importante dever cumprido. Acabo de realizar a prova do ENADE, um dos
pré-requisitos para que, daqui a alguns meses, possa colar grau em Psicologia.
Por si, a sensação de cumprir um dever é, para mim, satisfatória. Além disso,
fiz a prova com facilidade, o que me trouxe uma venturosa sensação: desfruto,
hoje, dos resultados que são inerentes à associação entre (i) uma vida dedicada
à leitura e aos estudos e (ii) a possibilidade que tive de cursar Psicologia em
uma Universidade Federal de excelência.
No caminho de volta para casa, no entanto, a sensação
de triunfo não veio desacompanhada. Estou também tomado por uma estranha
sensação de melancolia. Exatos 20 anos e alguns dias após fazer a prova do
ENADE referente ao curso de Filosofia, retomo algumas das taciturnas sensações
daquela época.
Era o dia 6 de Novembro de 2005; estava, entrementes,
no período de limbo entre o Mestrado e o Doutorado. Defendera minha Dissertação
de Mestrado poucos meses antes, em 28 de Março de 2005. Naquele mês de
Novembro, estava em fase de preparação para o Processo Seletivo para o
Doutorado. Apesar de não me recordar o dia e o mês em que faria a prova, lembro
vivamente que o dia estava próximo.
Não apenas vivia o cansaço do Processo Seletivo.
Estava, ao mesmo tempo, e ainda, assustado com o novo mundo que se descortinava
ao longo dos últimos meses. Há pouco menos de um ano, havia saído da casa dos
meus pais para me casar com uma mulher mais velha e bem mais experiente.
Sentia-me ainda pouco mais que um menino, repleto de ciúmes e de insegurança,
sentimento este que aumentava ainda meus ciúmes, inclusive em relação ao
passado. Dura sensação. Naquele dia 6 de Novembro de 2005, data da prova do ENADE,
havia acabado de escrever a duras penas um projeto de Doutorado em um
computador cuja tela estava completamente embaçada. Precisava aplicar um
altíssimo nível de zoom para conseguir ler. Por cavalheirismo ou
companheirismo, havia cedido o meu computador para que a pessoa com quem
convivia escrevesse sua Tese; assumi seu computador, apelidado de ‘carrocinha’.
Em que pese tanta dificuldade e tantos meses para deixar esse projeto o mais
perfeito possível, fiquei muito satisfeito com o resultado: já que, sob a
orientação do Prof. Cerqueira, estava destinado a escrever temas suscitados
pela Filosofia Brasileira, e ainda assim dentro de m certo paradigma restrito,
encontrei algo que havia dado muito prazer: uma discussão envolvendo a
conciliação entre o livre-arbítrio e o determinismo a partir da perspectiva do
Domingos José Gonçalves de Magalhães. Meu orientador jogou o Projeto no lixo,
assim como fizera com as 100 páginas de Dissertação que recebeu quando assumiu
minha orientação. Até onde me recordo em meio a tanto palavreado, não havia
argumentos que eu tenha considerado bons. Mas sou bom moço. Segui a lógica do “manda
quem pode, obedece quem tem juízo”. Resolvi fazer o que o mestre queria. Pouco
mais de 3 anos depois, defendi a Tese querendo abandoná-la. Estava linda, e
havia muitos elementos originais, mas havia sido escrita com lágrimas e
renúncias. Minha estratégia foi a de seguir à risca o estilo do orientador.
Esse era o contexto em meio ao qual chegara a convocação para fazer a prova do ENADE. Perguntei-me: por quê? Como posso estar sendo convocado para essa prova se minha Colação de Grau foi há quase 3 anos, em 26 de Fevereiro de 2003? Não me lembro se o secretário do curso de Graduação em Filosofia me explicou o motivo com base em dados factuais ou se, antes, a pessoa com quem comigo convivia aventou a hipótese na qual passei a acreditar: a de que o meu orientador, o Prof. Cerqueira, coordenador temporário do curso de Filosofia, havia deliberadamente incluído meu nome. Essa informação causou-me sentimentos de raiva, sobretudo pela proximidade temporal com o descarte do projeto e pela distância temporal e emocional em relação à Graduação. Mas faltava explicar como foi possível essa convocação póstuma. Soube então que eu estava ainda vinculado à graduação porque, embora tivesse abandonado a Licenciatura quando faltava apenas cumprir o Estágio, o tempo para cancelar meu vínculo com a Graduação não havia ainda transcorrido.
Uma das maneiras mais acentuadas pelas quais se exprime em mim o que entendo ser uma fobia social é a sensação de vontade de fugir ou de me tornar invisível todas as vezes em que preciso encontrar pessoas em eventos extraordinários e/ou em espaços públicos. Acontece quando preciso ir a um grande Congresso ou a uma reunião de trabalho; aconteceu naquele dia. E aconteceu hoje. A sensação de 06 de Novembro de 2005 foi reatualizada em 23 de Novembro de 2025. Também hoje dividi a sala com alunos: não com alunos atuais, como ocorrera em 2005, mas com alguns dos alunos que tive nos anos de 2021 e 2022 no curso de Psicologia da Universidade Federal de Uberlândia.
Se não me engano, a prova era no bairro de Humaitá. Tudo o que queria era voltar para casa: por ciúmes, por insegurança, por ansiedade, por pressa, por desamparo. Pedi a meus pais que me levassem de carro. E eis que, quando chego na porta da Instituição onde faria a prova, encontro reunidos os meus alunos do curso de Filosofia da Faculdade Arquidiocesana João Paulo II, o Seminário São José. Fiz a prova na mesma sala deles. Não entendiam como era possível que o professor deles estivesse lá. Para aqueles meninos – parte dos quais, ainda muito infantilizados, parte dos quais, gente muito perigosa– , eu era motivo de graça. Resolvi agir como alguns alunos que se opunham ao ENADE, por motivos que hoje não me recordo bem: aguardei os 30 minutos mínimos para ficar em sala e entreguei a prova em branco. Saí o mais rápido que pude para voltar para casa. Como hoje, era um domingo chuvoso e melancólico. E eu me sentia o mais repulsivo e descolado dos seres.
“– Professor, professor, o que fazes aqui?”
Ao que respondi: “– a prova”.
“– Uai, você não entrou na Psicologia antes de mim?”
“– Não sei, mas fiz transferência”.
Voltei novamente o olhar para o céu. Estava sentado na
última cadeira, na parede mais afastada da porta. E então ela se volta de
maneira brusca para trás novamente, levanta-se e vem em minha direção dizendo
mais ou menos o seguinte:
“– ah, estou confundindo, como eu fui sua aluna na Filosofia
se eu não lembro de ser sua aluna?”.
Nada entendi. Tive vontade de responder “boa pergunta”, mas
preferi olhá-la em silêncio. E então, de maneira espalhafatosa:
“– Você ainda tem aqueles grupos na filosofia?”.
Ao que respondi: “– Tenho”.
E ela: “– oba, agora estou com tempo livre. Sua paixão ainda
é a filosofia? Não mudou não?”.
E eu, muitíssimo contrariado com aquela intervenção em meu
espaço de paz e silêncio:
“– é...a filosofia”.
E olhei para o céu novamente, decidido a não mais responder
às suas questões. Para minha sorte, chegou uma colega sua de curso,
provavelmente uma das formandas em Psicologia da UNIESSA.
O meu telefone e relógio já
estavam desligados e guardados no envelope. Dediquei-me a olhar o céu. Mais
duas colegas de curso entraram e se sentaram perto de mim. Sentaram-se à minha
frente e pareceram não me ver. Não sei se tomei o fato (i) como uma das
características de uma geração cada vez mais individualista, digital e alienada
em relação ao ambiente circundante ou se (ii) concebi a situação como uma
benção divina. Uma delas calçava um tênis All Star de cano longo
amarelo. Perdi-me em meio ao amarelo do seu tênis e, ao retomar minha visão
para o céu, novas sensações foram me tocando.
Lembrei-me do mestre que tenho
seguido em silêncio secreto: Bhagavan Sri Ramana
Maharshi. Um dos seus ensinamentos mais importantes para o cultivo do
silêncio é o método de meditação da autoinvestigação, o qual consiste em tomar
como ponto de partida a pergunta “–
quem tem esse pensamento?”, cuja resposta será, inevitavelmente, “eu”, o
que nos leva então à pergunta definitiva, a mais importante: “– quem sou eu?”. Ao nos
fixarmos no puro sentimento do ‘Eu sou’, nossa consciência permanece no nível
do Ser, sem se associar a nada, o que quer dizer, sem se manifestar como ego,
como aquela expressão que é, segundo Sri Ramana Maharshi, a distorção do
Ser-consciência. Nesse sentido, o ego e todo seu universo é transcendido.
Busquei prosseguir nesse método de dissolução do pensamento dual (consciência x
mundo), e fui sendo encaminhado para a pergunta sobre o self. Pouco a
pouco foram se diluindo, gradativamente, algumas das consequências deletérias
de minha espécie de fobia social. Estava finalmente inteiro em meu canto, e com
olhar indiferente, acompanhei as pessoas entrando e as duas fiscais de prova
conduzindo o processo.
Se jogarmos areia em um copo,
ela se assentará após um momento em que a água estará totalmente turva. Assim
me vi. Olhava para o céu, nublado como aquele de 06 de Novembro de 2005. Mas
hoje senti compaixão em relação a mim; vi, de cima, o menino que ainda há em
mim, e o qual busca sentidos, toma decisões e faz promessas a si mesmo; com
alguma frequência, precipitadas e ruidosas. Situei-me em relação aos meus
últimos momentos. Refiz-me, ainda que destituído da força que quero ter. E me
vi claramente onde quero estar: não como um filósofo em transição para a
psicologia, mas como um filósofo dedicado a pensar temas – a mente, a consciência
e o silêncio, independentemente de as fontes serem filosóficas ou literárias de
origem – e a se
associar à psicologia para fazer filosofia aplicada – por exemplo, a filosofia da velhice e do
envelhecimento. Em última instância, como um filósofo dedicado a penetrar em
ensinamentos capazes de edificar a existência, sempre em separado daquilo que
pode obstaculizar o caminho, inclusive a participação em uma pós-graduação.
Deixo, por fim, um ensinamento
de Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi: “Todos os seres desejam a felicidade sempre,
uma felicidade sem qualquer vestígio de tristeza. Ao mesmo tempo, todos se amam
mais do que a si mesmos. A causa do amor é a própria felicidade. Portanto, essa
felicidade deve residir em cada um. Além disso, todos experimentam essa
felicidade diariamente durante o sono, quando não há mente. Para alcançar essa
felicidade natural, é preciso conhecer a si mesmo. Para isso, a autoindagação “Quem
sou eu?” é o principal meio”.
***
I have just arrived home. I carry with me the feeling of having fulfilled an important duty. I have just taken the ENADE examination, one of the prerequisites that will allow me, in a few months, to graduate with a degree in Psychology. In itself, the feeling of having fulfilled an obligation is deeply satisfying to me. Moreover, I completed the examination with ease, which brought me a welcome sense of fulfillment: today I am enjoying the fruits that naturally arise from the conjunction of (i) a life devoted to reading and study and (ii) the opportunity I had to study Psychology at an outstanding Federal University.
On my way home, however, the feeling of triumph did not come alone. I was also overtaken by a strange sense of melancholy. Exactly twenty years and a few days after taking the ENADE examination for my Philosophy degree, I found myself revisiting some of the somber feelings that marked that period of my life.
It was November 6, 2005. At the time, I found myself in the liminal period between my Master's and Doctoral studies. I had defended my Master's dissertation only a few months earlier, on March 28, 2005. That November, I was preparing for the doctoral admissions process. Although I no longer remember the exact date on which the examination would take place, I vividly recall that it was fast approaching.
I was not only exhausted by the admissions process. At the same time, I was overwhelmed by the new world that had gradually unfolded before me over the preceding months. Less than a year earlier, I had left my parents' home to marry a woman older and far more experienced than I was. I still felt little more than a boy, consumed by jealousy and insecurity—feelings that only intensified my jealousy, even toward the past. It was a painful state of mind.
That was the context in which I received the summons to take the ENADE examination. I asked myself: Why? How could I possibly be required to take this examination if I had graduated almost three years earlier, on February 26, 2003? I no longer remember whether the secretary of the undergraduate Philosophy program explained the reason to me on the basis of factual information or whether, instead, the person with whom I was then living first advanced the hypothesis that I eventually came to believe: that my advisor, Professor Cerqueira, who was temporarily serving as coordinator of the Philosophy program, had deliberately included my name. This information filled me with anger, especially because of its temporal proximity to his rejection of my doctoral proposal and my growing emotional distance from my undergraduate years. Yet one question remained unanswered: How had such a posthumous summons been possible? I then learned that I was still officially enrolled in the undergraduate program because, although I had withdrawn from the teaching certification track with only my practicum remaining, the period required to terminate my enrollment had not yet elapsed.
On that November 6, 2005, the day of the ENADE examination, I had just completed, after tremendous effort, a doctoral research proposal on a computer whose monitor had become almost completely blurred. I had to magnify the text to an absurd degree simply to be able to read it. Out of courtesy—or perhaps companionship—I had given my own computer to the person with whom I lived so that she could write her dissertation, while I inherited her old machine, affectionately nicknamed the "jalopy." Despite all the difficulty and the many months spent refining that proposal as much as possible, I was genuinely pleased with the final result. Since, under Professor Cerqueira's supervision, I was expected to work on themes within Brazilian Philosophy, and within a rather narrow paradigm at that, I had nevertheless found a topic that gave me great intellectual pleasure: a discussion of the compatibility between free will and determinism from the perspective of Domingos José Gonçalves de Magalhães. My advisor threw the proposal into the trash, just as he had done with the one hundred pages of my Master's dissertation that he received upon assuming my supervision. As far as I can remember, amid all his words, I found none of his arguments persuasive. But I have always been a compliant man. I followed the old maxim: "those who hold power command; those with good sense obey." I decided to do what my advisor wanted. A little more than three years later, I defended a dissertation that I already wished to abandon. It was, objectively speaking, a beautiful work, containing many original elements, but it had been written through tears and renunciations. My strategy had been simply to imitate my advisor's style as faithfully as possible.
If I remember correctly, the examination took place in the Humaitá district. All I wanted was to return home: out of jealousy, insecurity, anxiety, haste, and a profound sense of helplessness. I asked my parents to drive me there. And then, upon arriving at the entrance of the institution where the examination was to be held, I found gathered there my own students from the Philosophy program at Faculdade Arquidiocesana João Paulo II, the São José Seminary. I took the examination in the very same room as they did. They could not understand how it was possible that their professor was sitting beside them as an examinee. To those young men—some still remarkably immature, others genuinely dangerous—I had become a source of amusement. I decided to act as some students opposed to the ENADE were then doing, for reasons I no longer clearly remember: I remained in the examination room for the minimum required thirty minutes and handed in a completely blank answer sheet. I left as quickly as I could and hurried back home. Like today, it was a rainy and melancholy Sunday. And I felt myself to be the most repulsive and out-of-place of human beings.
One of the clearest ways in which what I understand to be social phobia manifests itself in me is through the overwhelming desire either to flee or to become invisible whenever I must encounter people at extraordinary events and/or in public spaces. It happens whenever I have to attend a large conference or a professional meeting; it happened on that day. And it happened again today. The emotional experience of November 6, 2005 was reactivated on November 23, 2025. Today once again I shared an examination room with students—not my current students, as had been the case in 2005, but several whom I had taught in 2021 and 2022 in the Psychology program at the Federal University of Uberlândia.
Just as I had twenty years earlier, I lowered my head, put on a stern expression, and hurried toward the examination room. This description may give the impression of a deliberate sequence of planned actions. It is not. Rather, it is my body's response to an environment that my organism implicitly perceives as potentially hostile. A few colleagues noticed me: I hurriedly shook one colleague's hand without greeting the five or six others who were standing beside her; near the entrance to Room 08, where I was to take the examination, I exchanged a few greetings that I returned only half-heartedly, as well as responding even more poorly to a playful remark made by a good colleague who jokingly promised to sit beside me in order to copy my answers. The most I could offer was the faintest trace of a smile. Also in my examination room was a woman with whom I had studied Psychology for one semester in 2021 at UNIESSA, and who, for years, had attended my Extension Courses and Philosophy Study Groups. She seems to spend her life pursuing one course after another. She must now be completing her fifth undergraduate degree. She failed to realize that I wanted no conversation. Indeed, one of her characteristic traits is her difficulty in accurately reading the nonverbal behavior of those with whom she speaks. She repeatedly turned around in her seat and, in a playful tone, said:
“Professor,
Professor, what are you doing here?"
To which
I replied:
"Taking
the exam."
"Wait...
didn't you start the Psychology program before I did?"
"I
don't know, but I transferred."
I turned
my gaze back toward the sky. I was sitting in the last seat, against the wall
farthest from the door. Then she abruptly turned around once more, stood up,
walked over to me, and said something along these lines:
"Oh,
I'm getting confused. How could I have been your student in Philosophy if I
don't remember ever being your student?"
I
understood nothing. I felt like replying, "Good question," but
instead I simply looked at her in silence. Then, rather theatrically, she
continued:
"Do
you still have those Philosophy study groups?"
I
answered:
"Yes."
And she
replied:
"Great!
Now I finally have some free time. Is Philosophy still your passion? That
hasn't changed, has it?"
And I,
deeply irritated by that intrusion into my space of peace and silence,
answered:
"Yes...
Philosophy."
I then
looked back at the sky, determined not to answer any more of her questions.
Fortunately for me, one of her classmates arrived—probably one of the
graduating Psychology students at UNIESSA.
My phone
and watch had already been switched off and sealed inside the examination
envelope. I devoted myself to looking at the sky. Two more classmates entered
the room and sat near me. They took the seats directly in front of me and
seemed not even to notice my presence. I do not know whether I interpreted this
as (i) one of the characteristics of an increasingly individualistic, digital,
and environmentally detached generation or (ii) regarded it as a divine
blessing. One of them was wearing a pair of yellow high-top Converse All Stars.
I found myself absorbed by the yellow of her sneakers, and as I lifted my eyes
back toward the sky, new sensations gradually began to emerge.
I found myself remembering the master whom I
have followed in quiet secrecy: Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi. One of his most
important teachings concerning the cultivation of silence is the method of
Self-inquiry, a form of meditation that begins with the question, "Who is
having this thought?" The answer will inevitably be, "I." This,
in turn, leads us to the decisive and most fundamental question: "Who am
I?" By fixing ourselves upon the pure awareness of "I Am," our
consciousness remains at the level of Being itself, without attaching itself to
anything—that is, without manifesting itself as the ego, which, according to
Sri Ramana Maharshi, is nothing other than the distortion of
Being-Consciousness. In this sense, the ego, together with its entire universe,
is transcended. I sought to persevere in this method of dissolving dualistic
thought (consciousness versus world), and I found myself gradually being led
toward the question of the Self. Little by little, some of the more harmful
consequences of what I understand to be my particular form of social phobia
began to dissolve. At last, I was wholly present in my own corner, and, with an
indifferent gaze, I watched people entering the room while the two proctors
quietly carried out the examination procedures.
If we throw sand into a glass of water, it will
eventually settle after the water has first become completely cloudy. That is
how I saw myself. I looked toward the sky, overcast like the one on November 6,
2005. But today I felt compassion for myself. From above, as it were, I saw the
boy who still lives within me—the boy who continues searching for meaning,
making decisions, and promising things to himself, often hastily and noisily. I
was finally able to place my recent experiences into perspective. I rebuilt
myself, even though I still lacked the strength I long to possess. And I saw
with clarity where I wish to be: not as a philosopher transitioning into
psychology, but as a philosopher devoted to reflecting upon the mind,
consciousness, and silence, regardless of whether the sources are philosophical
or literary in origin, and to joining psychology in the pursuit of applied
philosophy—for example, the philosophy of old age and aging. Ultimately, I wish
to be a philosopher dedicated to penetrating those teachings capable of
building up human existence, always remaining separate from whatever may
obstruct that path, including participation in another graduate program.
I conclude with one of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi's teaching: “All beings desire happiness always—a happiness entirely free from the slightest trace of sorrow. At the same time, everyone loves himself more than anything else. The cause of that love is happiness itself. Therefore, happiness must reside within each one of us. Moreover, everyone experiences this happiness every day during sleep, when the mind is absent. To attain this natural happiness, one must know oneself. For this purpose, the inquiry 'Who am I?' is the principal means.”.

Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário
Observação: somente um membro deste blog pode postar um comentário.