segunda-feira, 13 de julho de 2026

Em 13 de Julho de 2026 (segunda). Uma história da ansiedade. Capítulo 1: Varginha-MG, Maio, Junho ou Julho do ano de 1996. // On July 13, 2026 (monday) A History of Anxiety. Chapter One: Varginha, Minas Gerais: May, June, or July, 1996

 


Localizada na Mesorregião do Sul e Sudoeste de Minas Gerais, Varginha é uma cidade de porte médio do Sul do Estado: segundo os dados do último censo do IBGE, sua população atual gira em torno a 142 mil pessoas. A considerar pelas recordações que guardo do ano em que ali morei, há 29 anos, grande o suficiente para que a frieza das relações humanas e a indiferença que vizinhos nutrem uns pelos outros já fizessem parte do status quo; suficientemente pequena, por outro lado, para salvaguardar, em seu costumes, vestígios arraigados de pequenas cidades e vilarejos, dentre os quais o conservadorismo nos costumes, com papel de destaque à religiosidade popular, aos hábitos de lazer, à fofoca como elemento agregador e ao prestígio (ou ausência de) por conta de sua família de origem ou naturalidade. Lembro-me de, ainda em minha primeira semana na cidade, ser chamado, por um colega de sala, e por conta de uma briga em uma partida de futebol, de ‘forasteiro’.

O charme de Varginha não envolvia sua população. Muito pelo contrário. Sua beleza advinha apenas de sua geografia e de seu clima. Assim como ocorre em geral com as cidades do Sul de Minas Gerais, Varginha está situada em uma região de colinas, vales e formações onduladas. Sua altitude é considerada moderada, variando entre os 868 e os 1.239 metros; respectivamente, na foz do córrego Tijuco e no Morro do Chapéu. Seu relevo é bastante acidentado: apenas 4% do território de Varginha é 4% plano; 80% do terreno é ondulado e 16% montanhoso. Como uma típica cidade de clima subtropical úmido, Varginha possui duas estações climáticas bem definidas: um período quente e chuvoso, prevalente durante a Primavera e o Verão, e um período muito frio e seco durante o Outono e o Inverno. Uberlândia também tem essas características, mas o frio que faz em Varginha é incomparável ao do nosso cerradão: em 1996, muitos foram os dias em que o relógio da praça da Fonte marcava 6º C, pela manhã, por volta das 6h30min, e no final do dia, a partir das 18h. Havia também, mesmo durante o período que não chovia, uma boa sensação de umidade. Cedo ou à noite, nossa respiração produzia muita fumaça: tratava-se, esse fenômeno, de um processo dependente de umidade, a condensação, como nos ensinou certa vez nosso professor de Química, Geraldo, um fumante inverterado. Banhada pelo Rio Verde, Varginha está bem próxima ao divisor de águas das Bacias do Paraná e do São Francisco; está, mais precisamente, inserida na Bacia do Rio Grande, um importante afluente do Rio Paraná. Antes do grande avanço da agricultura – sobretudo com o desenvolvimento das culturas de café, milho e cana – a região era majoritariamente coberta por Mata Atlântica e Cerrado; atualmente, a maior parte do terreno da região é de lavouras e pastagens, embora ainda existam fragmentos de mata ciliar ao longo dos rios e áreas de preservação. Eu apreciava fazer longas caminhadas solitárias no entorno dessas áreas. Em meio à mata ciliar e às áreas de preservação, encontrava um pedaço de paraíso em meio a uma terra humanamente hostil.

***

Meu pai é originário da Mesorregião do Sul e Sudoeste de Minas Gerais. Nasceu na área rural de Piumhi, uma pequena cidade do Sudoeste do Estado, a mais ou menos 180 km ao norte de Varginha. Aos 12 anos, foi mandado para uma Escola Agrícola em regime de internato na também pequena cidade de Machado, no Sul de Minas, 70 km a Oeste de Varginha.

Nossa mudança para a região em que nasceu e foi criado era, ao que parece, um dos projetos que propunha concretizar assim que se aposentasse. Compartilhava com Bento Santiago o desejo de atar as duas pontas da vida. Eis que, tão logo se viu desobrigado de seus laços profissionais, surge o projeto ‘Varginha’. Localizada entre as suas duas referências de infância (Piumhi e Machado), e com mais recursos e oportunidades que estas pequenas cidades, cada qual com menos de 40 mil habitantes, Varginha parecia ser a solução adequada para conciliar sua aspiração de voltar ao seio de sua região natal com as necessidades de uma família repleta de futuro: sua esposa, minha mãe, nascida e criada em grandes cidades e capitais, e contando, então, com 38 anos; eu e meu irmão caçula, seus dois filhos adolescentes – prestes a completar, respectivamente, 15 e 13 anos –; e sua filha, minha irmã, ainda no útero de nossa mãe.

***

O caminhão de mudança saiu do Rio de Janeiro com destino a Varginha no início do mês de Abril de 1996, ano em que a cidade nacionalmente conhecida pela qualidade do seu café – a ‘Capital do Café’ – tornou-se internacionalmente famosa e midiática por conta da suposta aparição, em 20 de Janeiro de 1996, de um extraterrestre, testemunhado por três meninas. O que pouco se sabe, no entanto, é que outras aparições de extraterrestres e também de OVNIs foram relatadas não apenas em Varginha, mas em inúmeras outras cidades da região, como em Alfenas, Carmo do Rio Claro, Passos e, como não podia deixar de ser, em São Thomé das Letras.

A inusitada visita gerou uma repercussão que, à época, não saberia estimar. Pouco antes de nos mudarmos em definitivo, a cidade foi invadida pela mídia nacional e internacional. O chamado ‘incidente de Varginha’ chegou a ser noticiado pelo Fantástico; toda uma história foi criada em torno ao extraterrestre, envolvendo o Exército, mormente a Escola de Sargento do Exército (ESA) de Três Corações (a cidade de Pelé fica a 30 km de Varginha) e até a UNICAMP, que supostamente abriga o ET de Varginha em seu Laboratório de Testes subterrâneo (no qual há criaturas vivas e mortas de outros planetas). O Casseta & Planeta, ainda em seu auge, não perdeu a oportunidade de fazer troça com a visita insólita recebida pelas caipiras mineiros; fez gravações no centro da cidade e na Praça da Fonte, mobilizando centenas de pessoas, dentre as quais eu. Embora não tenha mais contato com Varginha, sei que, por meio do turismo ufológico, a cidade se beneficiou financeiramente desse grande evento, dispondo, hoje, de estátuas de extraterrestres, construções em formato de nave, Memorial do ET e até mesmo de um ‘elevador de abdução’ na própria prefeitura.

Não obstante toda essa movimentação, que ainda havia em Abril, estávamos em um mundo pré-digital. Não dispúnhamos de telefones celulares, computadores pessoais e internet. Minha vida de estudante do 1º ano do Ensino Médio passava completamente ao largo de toda essa agitação. Eu estava envolvido em meu próprio mundo: tentava me adaptar a uma realidade radicalmente diferente em relação ao que fui criado sem conseguir deixar de contemplar, com cortante melancolia, o encerramento de uma era: posto que pequena em extensão, trazia consigo a expectativa infanto-juvenil de eternidade e atemporalidade. Sou grato por isso.

***

Tentar se adaptar é uma das ações mais democraticamente difundidas entre as criaturas, seja em nível biológico seja no plano existencial. Há quem diga que viver é se adaptar: definição incompleta, sem dúvida; certeira, porém. Com efeito, não há criatura que não passe sua vida tentando se adaptar às oscilações ambientais, oriundas tanto do interior quanto do exterior de suas próprias peles; ou originadas do mundo fora de nós ou de nossas emoções, sentimentos, pensamentos e/ou oscilações fisiológicas.

Assim que fui chamado de ‘forasteiro’ pelo Chico, filho da dona da padaria da rua da escola, fui tomado por um pensamento intruso cujas origens não podem remeter senão à angústia das circunstâncias: ‘antes de ser atacado, vou atacar’. Comecei então a circular em todos os ambientes quanto era possível, fazendo do Chico o meu alvo de bullying. Não é com orgulho que eu me lembro de forjar amizade com os amigos do Chico para que eu pudesse lhe machucar no futebol sem sofrer represálias.

O futebol começou a perder espaço em minha vida. Minha obsessão era não sofrer mais qualquer vestígio do que hoje chamamos de bullying. Desviei meus olhos do grupo do Chico, meninos de comportamento tradicional e filhos de comerciantes da cidade, e passei a mirar a simpatia dos descolados, daqueles meninos que eram livres para cultivar cabelos rebeldes e jogar peteca ao invés de futebol sem ter a masculinidade questionada. Um pouco mais de aproximação me revelou onde estava a chave para entrar na porta daquele universo que se tornou – na cabeça de um adolescente que ainda não completara seus 15 anos – tudo o que sempre quis: no cigarro e nas drogas.

Ainda hoje, lembro-me da desagradável sensação causada na língua e nas narinas pelo gosto ocre das primeiras tentativas de trago e do medo de enlouquecer com a maconha. Assim que adquiri mais familiaridade com o cigarro e que perdi o medo de enlouquecer, pouco tempo depois do início de tudo, descobri que não me interessavam mais aquelas relações. Elas eram meramente funcionais, e haviam cumprido o seu papel. Eu já havia conquistado o que aspirava: tornara-me ‘temido’ e ‘respeitado’. Ao longo do ano, fui o único da turma a fumar e a usar drogas. Ia sozinho a lugares desertos para fumar, cigarro e maconha. Vivi assim o meu silêncio. Com um colega de sala, que, curiosamente, era também carioca, aprendi a beber. Bebíamos conhaque. Eu era já bastante incorporado e este meu colega era alto e sem dúvida parecia maior de idade: em sua fantasia de ser advogado, vestia-se com roupas e sapatos sociais e ainda possuía uma carteira falsa da OAB. Ele me dizia que o conhaque era a bebida por excelência dos advogados e dos policiais federais, profissão a qual eu queria me dedicar, como ele sabia. Com ele, tive acesso ao álcool e ao prostíbulo, aonde ia nos finais da tarde para observar o comportamento das mulheres trabalhando, da proprietária e, é claro, dos clientes.

***

Era mais uma das tantas e intermináveis tardes entediantes do ano. Vivia, entrementes, o primeiro ou os primeiros meses de meus 15 anos: conquanto não saiba precisar em qual mês transcorreu o fato que trago agora à consciência, estimo ser algum dos dias entre os meses de Maio e Julho, com base na lembrança de que minha mãe estava então avançada na gravidez de minha irmã, nascida no dia 13 de Agosto daquele ano.

Nesta tarde, provavelmente em algum horário entre as 14h e as 16h, encontrei-me com alguns colegas na portaria do prédio em que morava. Como quase tudo que ocorreu naquele dia, é-me estranho como combinamos o encontro, na medida em que não possuíamos dispositivos de comunicação instantânea. Talvez eu tenha combinado com algum colega pela manhã, na escola ou em suas intermediações. Com este pequeno grupo, e à maneira de andarilhos, caminhamos em direção a um matagal que voltei a frequentar solitariamente muitas vezes neste ano. Trata-se de um lugar o qual, posto que ermo, não distava significativamente da região central da cidade: até onde minha recordação me permite ir, dirigimo-nos para o final da rua em que eu morava, a Rua Santa Cruz, encaminhamo-nos à direita de uma bifurcação na qual havia uma minúscula praça e fomos até o extremo do período urbano, até chegarmos ao que deveria ser um matagal deserto, no qual havia uma única casa sendo construída. Uma longa caminhada por esta rua, em sentido contrário à Praça da Fonte, separava o meu prédio do destino para o qual eu e alguns companheiros nos dirigimos. O nosso propósito era o de fumar maconha.

Apenas agora me recordei de um colega dentre os que estavam comigo. Dele, tenho apenas três recordações: o nariz curvado, de tucano, o primeiro nome e o local onde seu pai tinha um pequeno comércio. Não sou capaz de trazer os outros à mente. Também não me lembro do que se passava em minha cabeça enquanto, em grupo, caminhávamos em direção ao matagal: parafraseando Caetano Veloso em No dia em vim-me embora, uma das tantas músicas cuja interpretação de Elis Regina é incomparável, acredito que eu então “ia indo, atravessando, seguindo, nem chorando nem sorrindo”.

Já no matagal, sentamo-nos em um tronco que, talvez até pouco tempo, sustentara uma árvore. Recordo-me nitidamente do cheiro de terra, ao qual se associou o forte cheiro de maconha – terroso, com nuances doces e almiscaradas. A força do cheiro, mesmo em meio a um ambiente aberto, resultava do fato de o baseado ser tão grosso quanto um charuto. À minha direta, havia 1 pessoa. Se não me engano, uma mulher. Não sou capaz de reviver sua aparência; sei que nunca a vira e que nunca voltei a vê-la. À minha esquerda, 2 rapazes, um dos quais meu colega. À nossa frente, 3 pessoas desconhecidas. Na mão de um dos homens, havia um imenso tijolo de maconha prensada, não menos que 10 kg. Pelo menos 2 dos rapazes que portavam o grande volume de maconha eram mais velhos. Supostamente, maiores de 18 anos.

Até onde sou capaz de repassar os fatos daquela tarde, não ficamos por ali muito tempo. Passei o tempo todo calado; enquanto circulava o baseado, o grupo girava em torno a assuntos triviais. Como sempre acontece quando pessoas estão reunidas: o silêncio nunca é uma possibilidade. Alguém mencionou que o baseado continha não apenas maconha, mas haxixe.

Senti com força os efeitos da droga, a começar por minhas percepções sensoriais. Seu senso espaço-temporal foi muito afetado. Durante a descida, minha garganta começou a secar a ponto de eu não conseguir engolir minha própria saliva. Fui tomado por uma desesperadora sensação de asfixia. Esta é a primeira recordação que eu tenho de um ataque de pânico.

Estava como que dividido em dois. Ao lado de um eu observador, que apreciava todo o cenário como que por trás de um pano transparente, havia um eu que, em desespero, estava convicto de que a morte chegara, tão dura, sofrida e desesperadora quanto pode ser uma morte por asfixia. O segundo eu gritava ‘ai, meu Deus! Socorro, meu Deus! Me ajudem! Me ajudem! Estou morrendo!”. Talvez por conta da fragilidade, minha voz era afinada. Uma caricatura. Todos riram. Ninguém conseguiu acessar o meu sofrimento. Como sempre é, com a diferença de que sequer fui levado a sério.

Agarrei-me a uma árvore; chorando e gritando, pedi para que trouxessem minha mãe. Foi então que perceberam se tratar de um incidente. O que alguns chamam de bad trip foi, para mim, o ponto de partida de meu transtorno de pânico. Em desespero, e sem conseguir respirar, tentava cuspir quando, na verdade, queria engolir saliva. Por se tratar de um sintoma comum em quem fuma maconha, minha sequidão voltou a gerar gargalhada.

Em meio ao desespero, encontro uma construção, na qual havia um único homem. Desesperado, pedi-lhe água. Ao beber aquele santo gole de água, voltei a engolir. Aos poucos, minha frequência cardiorrespiratória voltou à normalidade. Passou o ataque e, em consequência, fez-se, em mim, o silêncio.

Se não sou capaz de me lembrar em qual estado me dirigi ao matagal, algumas horas antes, sei dizer como voltei: em paz, em silêncio. A tarde ia chegando ao fim à medida que caminhava lentamente para casa. Sob o crepúsculo vespertino daquela fria tarde de outono ou de inverno, cheguei em casa.

Minha mãe, sentada no sofá, acompanhava algum programa televisivo. Busquei seu olhar, como que temendo qualquer repreensão. Ela nada disse, mas seu olhar despertou em mim o que temia: a reprovação. Aquele olhar jamais me saiu da mente. Aquele olhar é, ainda hoje, 29 anos depois, o meu termômetro de correção ou incorreção moral. É este o olhar que procuro nos olhos daqueles que podem me julgar.


***

Located in the Southern and Southwestern Mesoregion of Minas Gerais, Varginha is a medium-sized city in the southern part of the state. According to the latest Brazilian census conducted by the IBGE, its current population is approximately 142,000 inhabitants. Judging from the memories I retain of the year I lived there, twenty-nine years ago, it was large enough for the coldness of human relationships and the indifference neighbors often feel toward one another to have already become part of the status quo. Yet it was also small enough to preserve, in its customs, deeply rooted traces of small towns and villages, among them social conservatism, popular religiosity, traditional forms of leisure, gossip as a force of social cohesion, and the prestige—or lack thereof—derived from one's family background or place of origin. I still remember that, during my very first week in the city, after an argument during a soccer match, one of my classmates called me an outsider.

Varginha's charm did not lie in its people. Quite the contrary. Its beauty derived solely from its geography and its climate. Like most cities in southern Minas Gerais, Varginha is situated in a landscape of rolling hills, valleys, and undulating terrain. Its elevation is considered moderate, ranging from 868 to 1,239 meters above sea level, respectively at the mouth of the Tijuco Stream and at Morro do Chapéu. The terrain is markedly uneven: only four percent of the municipality is flat, while eighty percent consists of rolling hills and the remaining sixteen percent is mountainous. As is typical of a humid subtropical climate, Varginha has two well-defined seasons: a warm, rainy period prevailing throughout spring and summer, and a cold, dry season during autumn and winter. Uberlândia shares these same climatic characteristics, but the cold in Varginha is simply incomparable to that of our vast cerrado. In 1996, there were many mornings when the clock in Fonte Square read 6°C at around 6:30 a.m., and many evenings when it registered the same temperature after six o'clock. Even during the dry season, the air retained a pleasant sense of humidity. Early in the morning and again at night, our breath formed dense clouds of vapor—a phenomenon dependent upon atmospheric moisture, condensation, as our chemistry teacher, Geraldo, an inveterate smoker, once explained to us. Watered by the Rio Verde, Varginha lies very close to the watershed dividing the Paraná and São Francisco river basins. More precisely, it belongs to the Rio Grande basin, one of the principal tributaries of the Paraná River. Before the great expansion of agriculture—especially with the cultivation of coffee, corn, and sugarcane—the region was covered predominantly by Atlantic Forest and cerrado vegetation. Today, most of the surrounding landscape has given way to farmland and pasture, although fragments of riparian forest still survive along the rivers and within protected areas. I used to enjoy taking long solitary walks through the surroundings of those places. Amid the riparian forests and protected woodlands, I found a small fragment of paradise in the midst of a land that, humanly speaking, felt profoundly hostile.

***

My father is originally from the Southern and Southwestern Mesoregion of Minas Gerais. He was born in the rural outskirts of Piumhi, a small town in the southwestern part of the state, approximately 180 kilometers north of Varginha. At the age of twelve, he was sent away to a boarding agricultural school in the equally small town of Machado, in southern Minas Gerais, about seventy kilometers west of Varginha.

Our move to the region where he had been born and raised seems to have been one of the projects he intended to fulfill as soon as he retired. Like Bento Santiago, he longed to tie together the two ends of his life. And so, no sooner had he been released from his professional obligations than the "Varginha project" came into being. Situated between the two places that had shaped his childhood—Piumhi and Machado—and offering considerably more resources and opportunities than either of those small towns, each with fewer than forty thousand inhabitants, Varginha appeared to be the ideal solution for reconciling his desire to return to the heart of his native region with the needs of a family whose future still lay ahead of it: his wife, my mother, born and raised in large cities and state capitals, then thirty-eight years old; my younger brother and me, his two adolescent sons, about to turn fifteen and thirteen, respectively; and his daughter, my sister, still in our mother's womb.

***

The moving truck left Rio de Janeiro for Varginha at the beginning of April 1996, the very year in which the city, nationally renowned for the quality of its coffee—the "Coffee Capital"—became internationally famous through the media because of the alleged appearance, on January 20, 1996, of an extraterrestrial reportedly seen by three young girls. What is less widely known, however, is that sightings of extraterrestrials and UFOs were reported not only in Varginha but also in numerous neighboring towns, including Alfenas, Carmo do Rio Claro, Passos, and, as one might well expect, São Thomé das Letras.

The extraordinary episode generated a level of public attention that, at the time, I was incapable of appreciating. Shortly before our permanent move, the city was overrun by both the Brazilian and the international media. The so-called "Varginha Incident" was even featured on Fantástico, Brazil's best-known television newsmagazine. An entire mythology soon developed around the alleged extraterrestrial, involving the Brazilian Army—particularly the Army Sergeants Academy (ESA) in Três Corações (Pelé's hometown, located about thirty kilometers from Varginha)—and even the University of Campinas (UNICAMP), which, according to the legend, keeps the "Varginha alien" in an underground testing laboratory supposedly housing living and dead creatures from other planets. Casseta & Planeta, then at the height of its popularity, did not miss the opportunity to poke fun at the extraordinary visitor supposedly received by the rustic people of Minas Gerais. The program filmed in the city center and at Fonte Square, drawing hundreds of local residents, myself among them. Although I no longer maintain any connection with Varginha, I know that the city eventually benefited financially from the episode through what has become known as UFO tourism. Today, it boasts alien statues, buildings designed to resemble spacecraft, an Alien Memorial, and even an "abduction elevator" inside the city hall itself.

Despite all that commotion, which was still very much alive when we arrived in April, we were living in a pre-digital world. There were no mobile phones, no personal computers, and no internet. My life as a first-year high school student unfolded entirely apart from all that excitement. I inhabited a world of my own. I was struggling to adapt to a reality radically different from the one in which I had been raised, while at the same time contemplating, with piercing melancholy, the end of an era which, though brief in duration, had carried within it the childhood and adolescent expectation of eternity and timelessness. I remain grateful for that.

***

Trying to adapt is one of the most universally shared activities among living creatures, whether at the biological or the existential level. Some would even say that to live is to adapt: an incomplete definition, to be sure, yet an accurate one. Indeed, there is no living being that does not spend its life trying to adapt to the ever-changing conditions of its environment, whether those changes arise from within or beyond the boundaries of its own skin; whether they originate in the external world or in our own emotions, feelings, thoughts, and physiological fluctuations.

As soon as Chico—the son of the woman who owned the bakery on the street where my school was located—called me an outsider, I was seized by an intrusive thought whose origins can only be traced to the anguish of those circumstances: Before I am attacked, I will attack. From that moment on, I began circulating through every social group I could reach, making Chico the target of my bullying. I recall, without the slightest pride, deliberately befriending his friends so that I could hurt him during soccer matches without suffering retaliation.

Soccer gradually began to lose its place in my life. My obsession had become avoiding every possible trace of what we now call bullying. I turned my attention away from Chico's group—boys of conventional manners and the sons of local shopkeepers—and toward the more unconventional crowd, those boys who were free to wear unruly hair and play shuttlecock instead of soccer without having their masculinity questioned. It did not take long for me to discover the key that opened the door into that world which, in the mind of a boy not yet fifteen years old, became everything I had ever wanted: cigarettes and drugs.

Even today, I vividly remember the unpleasant sensation left on my tongue and in my nostrils by the acrid taste of my first attempts at smoking, as well as my fear that marijuana might drive me insane. Once I became accustomed to cigarettes and no longer feared losing my mind, I soon realized that those relationships no longer interested me. They had been purely instrumental, and they had fulfilled their purpose. I had already achieved what I had wanted: I had become someone to be feared and respected. Throughout that year, I was the only student in my class who smoked and used drugs. I would go alone to deserted places to smoke—both cigarettes and marijuana. That was how I lived my own silence. It was also with one of my classmates, who, curiously enough, was from Rio de Janeiro as well, that I learned to drink. We drank brandy. I already looked rather mature for my age, and this classmate was tall and unquestionably looked like an adult. Nurturing the fantasy of becoming a lawyer, he dressed in suits and dress shoes and even carried a fake Brazilian Bar Association (OAB) identification card. He used to tell me that brandy was the drink par excellence of lawyers and federal police officers—the profession I dreamed of pursuing, as he well knew. Through him, I was introduced not only to alcohol but also to the local brothel, where we would spend late afternoons simply observing the women at work, the owner of the establishment, and, of course, the clients.

***

It was yet another of those countless long and tedious afternoons of that year. I had recently turned fifteen—or was living through the first months of my fifteenth year. Although I can no longer determine with certainty the month in which the events I now recall took place, I estimate that it must have been sometime between May and July, based on my memory that my mother was then in the final stages of her pregnancy with my sister, who was born on August 13 of that year.

That afternoon, probably sometime between two and four o'clock, I met a few classmates at the entrance to the apartment building where I lived. As with almost everything else that happened that day, it now seems strange to me that we had managed to arrange the meeting at all, since we had no means of instant communication. Perhaps I had made plans with one of them that morning, at school or somewhere nearby. Like a group of wanderers, we set off toward a patch of scrubland to which I would return many times alone during that same year. Although isolated, it was not particularly far from the city center. As far as my memory allows me to reconstruct our route, we walked to the end of Santa Cruz Street, where I lived, turned right at a fork marked by a tiny square, and continued until we reached the edge of the urban area, arriving at what was then an abandoned field where a single house was under construction. A long walk along that road, in the direction opposite Fonte Square, separated my apartment building from the place toward which my companions and I were headed. Our purpose was to smoke marijuana.

Only now do I remember one of the classmates who was with me. Of him, I retain only three memories: his curved, toucan-like nose, his first name, and the location of his father's small shop. I cannot bring the others back to mind. Nor do I remember what was passing through my thoughts as we walked together toward the field. To paraphrase Caetano Veloso's No Dia em que Eu Vim-me Embora—one of the many songs whose rendition by Elis Regina remains incomparable—I believe that I was simply "going on, crossing over, moving ahead, neither crying nor smiling."

Once we reached the field, we sat down on the trunk of what had, perhaps not long before, been a tree. I remember vividly the smell of the earth, soon joined by the powerful aroma of marijuana—earthy, with sweet and musky undertones. The intensity of the smell, even in the open air, came from the fact that the joint was as thick as a cigar. To my right sat one person, I believe a woman. I cannot recover her appearance; I know only that I had never seen her before and never saw her again. To my left were two young men, one of them my classmate. In front of us sat three people I did not know. In the hands of one of the men was an enormous brick of compressed marijuana, weighing no less than ten kilograms. At least two of the young men carrying that large quantity of marijuana were older than we were—presumably over the age of eighteen.

As far as I can reconstruct the events of that afternoon, we did not remain there very long. I spent the entire time in silence, while the conversation wandered through trivial matters as the joint made its way around the circle. As so often happens whenever people gather together, silence was never allowed to become a possibility. At one point, someone remarked that the joint contained not only marijuana but hashish as well.

I felt the effects of the drug with remarkable intensity, beginning with my sensory perceptions. My sense of space and time became profoundly distorted. As we made our way back down, my throat grew so dry that I could no longer swallow my own saliva. I was overtaken by a desperate sensation of suffocation. This is the earliest memory I have of what would later come to be recognized as a panic attack.

It was as though I had been split in two. Alongside an observing self, calmly contemplating the entire scene as though from behind a transparent veil, there was another self who, in utter desperation, was convinced that death had arrived—harsh, agonizing, and terrifying, as death by suffocation must surely be. This second self cried out: "Oh, my God! Help! My God! Help me! Help me! I'm dying!" Perhaps because of my weakness, my voice had become high-pitched, almost grotesque. A caricature of myself. Everyone laughed. No one was able to perceive my suffering. As is so often the case, only this time I was not even taken seriously.

I clung to a tree. Crying and screaming, I begged them to bring my mother. Only then did they realize that something was genuinely wrong. What some people would call a bad trip became, for me, the point of departure of my panic disorder. Desperate and unable to breathe, I kept trying to spit when, in reality, what I desperately needed was to swallow my own saliva. Because this dryness is a common symptom among those who smoke marijuana, my distress only provoked more laughter.

In the midst of my despair, I came upon a house where a single man was present. In desperation, I asked him for some water. As I drank that blessed mouthful of water, I was finally able to swallow again. Little by little, my heart rate and my breathing returned to normal. The attack subsided and, with it, silence descended upon me.

If I cannot remember in what state of mind I walked to that field only a few hours earlier, I know exactly how I returned: at peace, in silence. The afternoon was slowly giving way to evening as I made my way home at an unhurried pace. Beneath the fading light of that cold autumn—or perhaps winter—afternoon, I arrived home.

My mother was sitting on the sofa, watching some television program. I searched her face, fearing some form of reproach. She said nothing, yet her gaze awakened within me exactly what I had feared: disapproval. That look has never left my mind. Even today, twenty-nine years later, it remains the measure by which I judge my own moral rightness or wrongness. It is that same gaze that I continue to seek in the eyes of those who may judge me.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Observação: somente um membro deste blog pode postar um comentário.