Governador Valadares (1997)
O projeto ‘Varginha’
redundou em um enorme fracasso – e não apenas para mim. Minha família não
logrou êxito em sua adaptação à nova vida. Era previsível. Menos de 8 meses
havia passado desde nossa chegada definitiva a Varginha quando meus pais
decidiram mais uma vez alterar os rumos de nossas vidas. Soube do que estava
para acontecer no dia em que recebemos, em Varginha, a visita de algumas irmãs
do meu pai. Residentes em Governador Valadares, cidade do Leste de Minas (onde
meu pai morou por volta de seus 20 anos), acabavam de visitar as irmãs que
moravam em Piumhi e aproveitaram para estender à viagem até Varginha, com o
propósito de rever meu pai e sua família. Durante essa visita, convenceram meus
pais de que não havia a hipótese de sermos felizes em uma cidade na qual não
havia parentes. Convenceram-lhes de que nos esperava, em Governador Valadares,
e junto aos familiares de meu pai, um futuro alvissareiro. Ainda hoje não
consigo imaginar como foram as negociações entre o meu pai e a minha mãe.
Minhas lembranças estão cobertas por névoas, e não é com pouco esforço que
resgato, sob a forma de texto, os acontecimentos de então.
Mais uma vez,
um caminhão de mudanças carregava não apenas móveis, objetos e pertences de uma
família; no nosso caso, não tenho dúvidas, carregava incertezas, inseguranças,
frustrações e, acredito, alguma esperança. Atravessamos grande parte do vasto
território mineiro em sentido nordeste para cumprirmos o trajeto de uma cidade
a outra: 600 km distanciam Varginha de Governador Valadares.
***
Desde o meu
primeiro dia em Governador Valadares, guardei doces lembranças de certo
florescimento que a vida em Varginha me proporcionou. Como costumo dizer aos
meus pais: valeu a pena. Não obstante, o êxodo de Varginha foi, para mim,
providencial. Nos poucos meses em que lá residimos, transformei-me de um
adolescente cujo propósito era o de ser um jogador de futebol ou um Policial
Federal em um contumaz usuário de drogas, dissociado – como não pode deixar de
ser – de todos os sonhos passados. Ainda em Varginha, no final do ano de 1996,
progredia assustadoramente no consumo de maconha, haxixe, cocaína, xarope à
base de codeína e na mais persistente de todas as drogas, o cigarro. Progredia
também em relações e em contratos informais, assinados com minha própria alma,
sem os quais eu não poderia sustentar o meu próprio consumo. Presenciei uma
overdose em um companheiro que, à época, tinha apenas 13 anos. Ainda que
pudesse haver luz no fim do túnel, é mister agradecer por não ter ficado para
esperar.
Mudei-me antes
da minha família. Com muito custo, e com uma ajuda inestimável de uma tia,
consegui vencer o 1º ano do Ensino Médio. Tão logo eu e meu irmão entramos de
férias, atravessamos o Estado para que meus pais pudessem alugar o apartamento,
no qual, adianto, moramos ao longo de todo o ano de 1997. Alugado o
apartamento, era preciso voltar para fazer a mudança. Fui o único a não voltar.
Fiquei hospedado no apartamento de uma de minhas tias, a mais diretamente
responsável por convencer meus pais a se mudarem para Governador Valadares. Tal
qual um monge em clausura, permaneci quase inteiramente recolhido ao
apartamento durante aquelas semanas: eu estava decidido a me limpar e a iniciar
uma nova trajetória de vida. Não era possível retomar o passado: nem o mais
próximo nem o mais distante. Era necessário encontrar um caminho do meio entre
quem eu fui antes e depois de Varginha.
Consegui.
Vali-me, para tanto, do recurso ao cultivo espiritual, buscado em meio aos
muitos livros percorridos de literatura brasileira, às orações e súplicas à
Nossa Senhora Aparecida e à escrita terapêutica. Vali-me também do cigarro, que
fumava escondido e o qual, entendo hoje, exerceu um excelente papel de redução
de danos. Vali-me até mesmo de comidas ultraprocessadas, desde o miojo –
amplamente disponível na casa da minha tia – até o pastel da ‘Garapão’. ‘Quem
não tem Maquidonaldis vai de Garapão mesmo’ era o slogan dessa pastelaria: a
primeira vez que li esse cartaz acendeu em mim a convicção, creio hoje, de que
estava com depressão.
***
Fui retirado do
meu claustro por dois parentes, irmãos. Mais velhos que eu, já maiores de
idade, tomaram para si, cada qual à sua maneira, a missão de ‘me fazer homem’.
Um deles, o
mais velho, dependia da espiritualidade para – em meus termos – conter seus
impulsos mais destrutivos. Estava convertido. Tornou-se um homem de fé e de
comprometimento com a Igreja. Havia superado o vício em cocaína. Dele, recebia
muitos conselhos. Ainda que nosso contato mais intenso não tenha durado mais
que alguns dias, foi o suficiente para eu conhecer o sentimento de ter um irmão
mais velho protetor. Sua presença em minha vida foi muito importante para me
fortalecer espiritualmente.
O mais jovem,
cuja presença em minha vida foi ainda mais importante, é um sujeito expansivo.
Levava-me aos prostíbulos e aos ‘inferninhos’ da região. Percorríamos vários
desses lugares por noite; ele e um de seus amigos estavam sempre à procura de
adrenalina. Mas não houve, para mim, gatilhos. Ele gostava de beber, e eu não.
Ele não usava drogas e me apreciava. Foi um excelente companheiro.
***
Ainda em nossos
primeiros meses em Governador Valadares, fomos, com esse último parente
mencionado, a um riacho. Era uma manhã de sábado. O propósito do passeio era a
pescaria, tarefa a qual se dedicaram meu pai, meu irmão e o idealizador do
passeio. À beira do riacho, sentada sobre as pedrinhas que provavelmente estão
se transformando em areia pela evolução, minha mãe cuidava de minha irmã, um
bebê que ainda não tinha completado seu primeiro ano. E eu, que nunca gostei de
pescar, caminhava sozinho por entre as trilhas, aproveitando para explorar o
ambiente e fumar escondido. Entrei apenas uma vez no rio, e a contragosto.
No sábado
seguinte, voltamos. Tão logo chegamos, fui tomado por uma febre alta, por uma
dor de cabeça inédita em minha vida e por uma profunda prostração. Ao longo de
todo o tempo em que lá estivemos, fiquei deitado próximo à minha mãe e irmã, à
beira do riacho, debaixo do sol, buscando me aquecer. Durante a semana, outros
sintomas se juntaram às insistentes febre e dor de cabeça: prisão de ventre,
tontura e muito enjoo. Quis minha mãe que eu fosse ao médico.
Meu pai
levou-me a um colega de adolescência, um médico gastroenterologista. Fiz o
exame apenas para confirmar o diagnóstico dado a partir da mera análise de meus
sintomas. Com efeito, o problema era comum na região: esquistossomose, também
conhecido, na intimidade da região endêmica, pelo nome popular ‘xistose’, o
verme do gênero Schistosoma, e cujo
hospedeiro é um caramujo. Na única vez em que entrei no riacho, fui contaminado
pelo verme que gera a barriga d’água, que eu via com frequência nos meninos em situação
de rua da Praça Saens Peña (Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro-RJ) durante a minha infância
era comum. O tratamento: uns comprimidos imensos, a ser ingeridos com a barriga
cheia. Minha mãe comprou para mim um delicioso pão de cebola de uma padaria da
Rua São Paulo. Infelizmente, o enjoo horrendo que se seguiu da associação entre
os remédios e o pão durou por vários dias. Passei a sofrer de emetofobia, um
transtorno pouco conhecido, e o qual consiste no medo excessivo de vomitar ou
de ver outras pessoas vomitando. Esse transtorno, que me acompanhou por muitos
anos, tornou-se como que a fonte dos meus ataques de pânico. Episódios de
ansiedade geravam ânsia; e a ânsia, por sua vez, gerava ataques de pânico.
Muitas foram as vezes que minha mãe desceu comigo para pegar um ar fresco em
uma praça próxima ao prédio que morávamos. Tremendo, suando frio e repleto da
emoção inerente ao medo de morrer característico do ataque de pânico, era
acalmado por minha mãe. Eu não sabia o que era um transtorno mental: minha mãe
era mais que um porto seguro; era, ademais, o meu ansiolítico.
***
Em uma noite de
Junho, fui à festa junina da escola com um amigo, o Vanderlei (nome fictício). Vanderlei
é um amigo de quem sinto falta toda vez que dele me lembro. Silencioso,
simples, leal. Reunia todos os atributos que me agradam em uma pessoa. Era um
mulato alto e bem gordo; tinha muitas dificuldades com a escola. Portanto, pode
ser que fosse repetente e já tivesse, então, 18 anos. De qualquer forma,
dirigia um Santana Preto. Morava apenas com o pai, um mecânico de carros. Sua
mãe era falecida; lamentavelmente. Havia, em Vanderlei, a tristeza que inere
aos órfãos de mãe: era um rapaz triste e melancólico. Vanderlei também não era
de Governador Valadares: havia chegado há algum tempo do interior da Bahia, de
uma região relativamente próxima. Acho que, assim como eu, foi embora no ano
seguinte, de volta para sua cidade. Nunca mais nos falamos. E lá se vão quase
30 anos.
Até onde me
recordo, eu estava bem, apesar de nunca ter gostado de lugares escuros. A festa
transcorria em um espaço amplo. Nada havia de claustrofóbico naquele lugar.
Grande parte dos meus colegas de sala dançavam Quadrilha. Eu, que nunca fui de
dançar, e tampouco de participação em grupos, acompanhei a distância. Eu e
Vanderlei.
De repente, um
colega de sala começa a passar mal. Lembro-me exatamente do momento em que
acusou o problema. Sentia falta de ar. Seu desespero era avassalador. Puxava ar
e não vinha. Seu peito tinha espasmos. Pouco depois chegou a ambulância e, tão
logo a ambulância foi embora, quando tudo parecia mais calmo, espelhei seus
sintomas. Também eu estava com falta de ar. Muitos anos depois soube dizer o
que tinha: estava tendo um ataque de pânico.
Assustado,
lembro-me, Vanderlei me socorreu e, em seguida, levou para casa. Ao entrar no
apartamento, avistei minha mãe, deitada em um colchão, ao lado do sofá. É
possível que estivesse aguardando o filho voltar. Sem querer saber o motivo
pelo qual lá estava, disse-lhe, com a serenidade que me invade quando o ataque
vai embora, que estava desistindo de fazer medicina por ser destituído de
estrutura psicológica para lidar com pessoas passando mal. Pela ignorância do
que transcorria comigo, acabei estabelecendo associações, interpretações e
conclusões confusas.
Este ataque é
paradigmático por me trazer o sintoma que ainda hoje, quase três décadas depois,
me invade de tempos em tempos, não raramente permanecendo comigo ao longo de um
grande período, sobretudo quando a medicação está em fase de ajuste ou quando é
preciso mudar o remédio. Com efeito, desde então, meus ataques invariavelmente
vêm sob a forma respiratória: a respiração encurta, e um bloqueio na região do
tórax impede minha respiração diafragmática. Ao longo de muitos anos, o enjoo
acompanhou meus ataques, mas a dificuldade respiratória é sem dúvida a
característica mais notável.
O que acontecia
comigo? Eu não sabia dizer. Varginha havia ficado para trás. As drogas também.
Aos poucos, reconstruía amizades, projetos e uma vida que voltava a fazer
sentido. Julgava encerrado aquele capítulo da minha história. Enganava-me.
Embora eu ainda não soubesse, uma parte de Varginha viajara comigo para
Governador Valadares. Já não se manifestava na forma das drogas, mas do medo. A
única certeza que eu possuía era a de que algo mudara definitivamente em minha
experiência do mundo. Até então, o medo sempre me parecera uma resposta a algum
perigo concreto. A partir daqueles dias, comecei a descobrir que ele também
podia surgir sem objeto, sem explicação e sem aviso. Muitos anos ainda seriam
necessários até que eu aprendesse a dar nome ao novo e indesejado companheiro
que, silenciosamente, passava a caminhar ao meu lado: o transtorno de pânico.
***
The "Varginha Project" ended in complete
failure—and not only for me. My family, too, failed to adapt to our new life.
It was hardly surprising. Less than eight months had passed since our
definitive move to Varginha when my parents decided, once again, to change the
course of our lives. I learned what was about to happen on the day several of
my father's sisters came to visit us in Varginha. They lived in Governador
Valadares, a city in eastern Minas Gerais where my father himself had lived in
his early twenties. Having first visited their sisters in Piumhi, they extended
their trip to Varginha in order to see my father and his family. During that
visit, they convinced my parents that we could never truly be happy in a city
where we had no relatives. In Governador Valadares, they assured them,
surrounded by family, a brighter future awaited us. Even today I cannot imagine
what those conversations between my father and my mother must have been like.
My memories are veiled in mist, and only with considerable effort am I am able
to recover those events and give them the form of a narrative.
Once again, a moving truck carried far more than
furniture and household belongings. Ours was transporting uncertainty,
insecurity, disappointment, and, I believe, a measure of hope. We crossed much
of the vast territory of Minas Gerais, traveling nearly six hundred kilometers
northeast from Varginha to Governador Valadares.
From my very first day in Governador Valadares, I
retained fond memories of the personal growth that Varginha, paradoxically, had
given me. As I often tell my parents today, it was worth it. Even so, leaving
Varginha proved providential. During the few months we lived there, I had
transformed myself from a teenager whose greatest ambitions were to become
either a professional soccer player or a Federal Police officer into a habitual
drug user who had become completely estranged from his former dreams. By the
end of 1996, while still living in Varginha, my drug use had escalated at an
alarming pace. Marijuana, hashish, cocaine, codeine-based cough syrup, and the
most persistent drug of all—cigarettes—had become part of my daily life. I was
also entering relationships and making unspoken pacts, signed only with my own
conscience, without which I could no longer sustain that lifestyle. I witnessed
the overdose of a friend who was only thirteen years old. Even if there had
still been light at the end of the tunnel, I remain profoundly grateful that I
did not stay long enough to discover whether I would ever reach it.
I moved to Governador Valadares before the rest of my
family. Thanks to the invaluable help of one of my aunts, I managed, after
considerable effort, to complete my freshman year of high school. As soon as my
brother and I began our summer vacation, we crossed the state so that my
parents could rent the apartment where, as it turned out, we would spend all of
1997. Once the lease had been signed, they returned to Varginha to oversee the
move. I was the only one who stayed behind. I remained at the apartment of the
very aunt who had played the greatest role in persuading my parents to move to
Governador Valadares. Like a monk in seclusion, I spent those weeks almost
entirely confined to the apartment. I was determined to cleanse myself and
begin a new life. There was no returning to the past—neither to the distant
past nor to the more recent one. I needed to discover a middle path between the
person I had been before Varginha and the one I had become while living there.
I succeeded. To do so, I immersed myself in spiritual
discipline. I devoted myself to Brazilian literature, to prayer and
supplication to Our Lady of Aparecida, and to therapeutic writing. I also
relied on cigarettes, which I smoked in secret and which, as I understand
today, served as a remarkably effective form of harm reduction. Even
ultra-processed food became part of my strategy, from instant noodles—always
plentiful in my aunt's apartment—to the pastries sold at a local snack bar
called Garapão. Its slogan read: "No McDonald's? Then Garapão will
do." Looking back, I believe that the first time I read that sign was also
the first moment I realized that I had fallen into depression.
Eventually, two relatives—brothers, both older than I
was—pulled me out of my self-imposed cloister. Each, in his own way, assumed
the mission of "making a man" out of me. The elder brother depended
deeply on his spiritual life to restrain what I would call his more destructive
impulses. He had undergone a genuine religious conversion, become a committed
Christian, and overcome an addiction to cocaine. He offered me advice
generously, and although our closest contact lasted only a matter of days, it
was long enough for me to discover what it felt like to have an older brother
looking after me. His presence strengthened me spiritually in ways I would
understand only much later.
The younger brother, whose influence on my life proved
even greater, possessed a completely different temperament. He was outgoing,
energetic, and constantly in search of excitement. He took me to brothels and
to the small bars and nightclubs scattered throughout the city. Night after
night we wandered from one place to another. Curiously, none of it awakened in
me the slightest desire to return to drugs. He enjoyed drinking; I did not. He
never used drugs, yet accepted me exactly as I was. He became one of the finest
companions I have ever had.
Still during our first months in Governador
Valadares, we went with that same cousin to a small stream. It was a Saturday
morning. The purpose of the outing was fishing, an activity to which my father,
my brother, and the organizer of the trip devoted themselves enthusiastically.
On the riverbank, seated upon the pebbles that, over countless years, will
eventually become sand, my mother cared for my baby sister, who had not yet
celebrated her first birthday. As for me, having never enjoyed fishing, I wandered
alone along the narrow trails, exploring the surroundings and secretly smoking
cigarettes. I entered the stream only once, and reluctantly.
The following Saturday, we returned. Almost as
soon as we arrived, I was overcome by a high fever, the most severe headache I
had ever experienced, and a profound sense of exhaustion. Throughout the time
we remained there, I lay beside my mother and sister on the riverbank, under
the sun, trying to warm myself. During the following week, other symptoms
joined the persistent fever and headache: constipation, dizziness, and intense
nausea. My mother insisted that I see a doctor.
My father took me to a gastroenterologist who
had been one of his childhood friends. The laboratory tests merely confirmed
the diagnosis that the physician had already suspected from my symptoms alone.
I had contracted schistosomiasis. In that region the disease was so common that
almost everyone referred to it simply by its popular name, xistose. The
parasite is transmitted through freshwater snails. During the single occasion
on which I entered the stream, I had unknowingly become infected with the parasite
responsible for the disease once known in Brazil as water belly, a condition I
remembered seeing frequently among homeless children around Praça Saens Peña,
in Rio de Janeiro, during my own childhood.
The treatment consisted of enormous tablets
that had to be taken on a full stomach. My mother bought me a delicious onion
roll from a bakery on São Paulo Street. Unfortunately, the violent nausea
produced by the combination of the medication and the bread lasted for several
days. It was then that I developed emetophobia, an anxiety disorder
characterized by an excessive fear of vomiting or of seeing other people vomit.
That condition accompanied me for many years and eventually became, in many
respects, the principal source of my panic attacks. Episodes of anxiety
produced nausea; the nausea, in turn, triggered panic.
There were many evenings when my mother walked
downstairs with me to get some fresh air in a small square near the apartment
building where we lived. Trembling, drenched in cold sweat, and overwhelmed by
the terror of dying that so often accompanies a panic attack, I would gradually
calm down in her presence. At the time, I knew nothing about mental illness. My
mother was more than a safe harbor; she was, in every meaningful sense, my
anxiolytic.
One evening in June, I attended my school's
Festa Junina with a friend whom I shall call Vanderlei. He is a friend I miss
every time I think of him. Quiet, simple, and loyal, he possessed every quality
I admire in a person. He was a tall, heavyset mulatto who struggled in school
and may well have been repeating the school year, perhaps already eighteen
years old at the time. He drove a black Volkswagen Santana and lived alone with
his father, an auto mechanic. His mother had passed away many years earlier. There
was in Vanderlei the sadness that seems inherent to those who lose their
mothers too soon. He was a melancholy young man. Like me, he was not originally
from Governador Valadares, having moved there some time earlier from a small
town in the interior of Bahia, not very far away. I believe that, like me, he
left the following year and returned to his hometown. We never saw each other
again. Nearly thirty years have now passed.
As far as I remember, I was feeling well,
although I had never liked dark places. The celebration took place in a
spacious open area. There was nothing remotely claustrophobic about it. Most of
my classmates were dancing the traditional quadrilha. I, having never enjoyed
dancing or participating in group activities, watched from a distance. Vanderlei
and I stood apart from the crowd.
Suddenly, one of my classmates became ill. I
remember the exact moment when he first realized something was wrong. He was
struggling to breathe. His desperation was overwhelming. He kept gasping for
air, but none seemed to come. His chest convulsed with spasms.
A few moments later, an ambulance arrived, and
as soon as it left—when everything appeared to have returned to normal – I began
to experience the very same symptoms. I, too, was unable to breathe. Many years
later I would finally understand what had happened. I was having a panic
attack.
Frightened, Vanderlei came to my aid and drove
me home. When I entered the apartment, I saw my mother lying on a mattress
beside the living-room sofa. She may simply have been waiting for me to return.
Without asking why I was back so early, she listened as I calmly told
her—already feeling the attack beginning to subside—that I had decided to
abandon my dream of studying medicine because I lacked the psychological
resilience required to deal with people becoming seriously ill. Ignorant of
what was actually happening to me, I drew confused associations,
interpretations, and conclusions.
This particular attack remains paradigmatic
because it introduced the symptom that, nearly three decades later, still
returns from time to time, often remaining with me for extended periods,
especially while my medication is being adjusted or changed. Since then, my
panic attacks have almost invariably taken a respiratory form. My breathing
becomes shallow, and a constriction across my chest prevents me from breathing
diaphragmatically. For many years, nausea accompanied those attacks, but the
respiratory distress has undoubtedly remained their most distinctive
characteristic.
What was happening to me? I did not know.
Varginha was behind me. The drugs were behind me as well. Little by little, I
was rebuilding friendships, recovering old dreams, and creating a life that
once again seemed meaningful. I believed that chapter of my life had come to an
end.
I was mistaken.
Although I did not yet realize it, a part of
Varginha had traveled with me to Governador Valadares. It no longer manifested
itself through drugs, but through fear. The only certainty I possessed was that
something had changed forever in my experience of the world. Until then, fear
had always seemed to me a response to some concrete danger. From those days
onward, I began to discover that it could also arise without an object, without
an explanation, and without warning. Many years would pass before I finally
learned the name of the new and unwelcome companion that had quietly begun to
walk beside me: panic disorder.

Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário
Observação: somente um membro deste blog pode postar um comentário.